Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Second opinion

A few weeks ago our family ventured out for our first dentist visit in Korea. I have been reluctant to go, well just because I feared bad news, and the need for assistance from a Korean friend. Though we've lived here for 2 years it is still hard to communicate, especially in these types of endeavors where I really want to make sure communication is CLEAR. My friend took us to her dentist and my fears were not in vain. After cleaning my teeth (they call it scaling) the bad news was delivered...6 cavities and one of the fillings I had should be replaced. Yikes, I had thought maybe one cavity but I also felt a little leery about the diagnosis because I had heard rumors through the grapevine that foreigners get ripped off. They also said Joe had 5 cavities and would do them all for $900. I had my teeth cleaned last year when I was home and found it a bit hard to believe that in one year I had 6 cavities. Not to long ago my friend Sarah needed some dental work and had a similar experience but got a second opinion. So I asked my friend to try the dentist that Sarah had gone too. I felt awkward asking for her help again since she had taken us to someone she trusted but I knew if I asked a different friend to help she might be offended, either way I could offend her. But I knew I had to get a second opinion. It took awhile to coordinate our schedules but we finally went and the diagnosis? I did have 6 areas that needed attention but he suggested rasin (sp?) a white ceramic filling that I have had before so I guess it wasn't really a cavity. Joe didn't need anything done and the total price was $150! My Korean friend was shocked and said from now on that she too would get a second opinion.

4 comments:

David Brush said...

Dentures, that's where it's at. Or gold plating.

Elena said...

Actually the first place wanted to do a gold filling! Lucky for me the second opinion was different. Good to hear from you Dave.

Unknown said...

Good for you for getting that second opinion - the resin (or whatever it is) sounds like a smart move, too.
Good thing you didn't end up with a gold front tooth with a diamond chip in it!

Elena said...

Sara,
Ha, ha I could have really had some bling, bling. I'll keep it in mind!