Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Memories
How is it that certain food or smells can just whisk you away into memory land? Recently a friend here taught me how to make home made bread. Mmmmm :) 9 years ago I fought a battle with the bread maker and oven. Admitting defeat after many disappointing concoctions, I gave up attempting to make my own bread and have been store buying since. Well after 9 years I thought it was worth giving it a try again. And oh, how wonderful it came out. It was while I was enjoying a little slice of whole wheat heaven, when I was whisked away to the good ol' college days when Sarah (Witters) Houk and I would travel to her hometown, Lawrence. There is special bread shop, The Great Bread Harvest Co. where I experienced what true home made goodness is made of. And the choices! Spinach feta (my absolute fave), cinnamon, cheese and chive, honey whole wheat, red, white and blue. The best part about it was they give you free samples of any kind they are making that day. Now there are "samples" a tiny two bites. And then there is The Great Harvest SAMPLE. A huge slice that could fill you up and the best part was you could have more than one! I guess for broke college kids this was just too good to pass up. Almost every time we went to her hometown we'd make a stop and get our fill of carb heaven, and buy a loaf to share with her folks. This summer the boys and I traveled to Lawrence to see Sara and her girls and on the way I just couldn't resist a stop to the bread shop to pick up a loaf to share. I have many wonderful memories of my trips home with Sara. I have to add that her mom made a great loaf of bread too and so does she. And now I hope to join the ranks of great bread makers. No more store bought loaves for me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Welcome to the prestigious club of bread-makers! You are sure to be the envy of many in your years to come :) Thanks for the kind words - I still swing by for a hunk of bread on occasion.
Post a Comment