Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Culture differences

Last week Brett and I had a day together. Joe and I try and do this with the boys a couple times a month, when we each spend individual time with one boy. They are so different when you get them one on one. Brett had asked that the next time I make the trip to our beloved Costco, if he could go along. I prefer to go alone because it usually costs less money! The more of us that go the more opinions are voiced about what to buy. But I made sure he knew ahead of time that the only things going to be bought were the items on my list. Our trip was enjoyable as we dined on the lovely cuisine of hot dogs and pizza, made our way through the rows of American food items we so dearly miss and picked up our items to take home. On our train ride home we were seated across from 4 teenage boys, probably between the ages of 15-17 years old. In this particular train you can turn the seats around to face one another, which they had done. I noticed myself trying not to stare as they interacted. They were seated facing each other, with their legs up and feet underneath each other's bottoms. One boys had his hand casually laying on the boy's leg next to him. I thought to myself this is one thing I have never seen in America! In Korea they call this skinship. When you are friends with someone, one way to show your friendship is by touching. It is not uncommon to see girl friends holding hands and guys walking with their arms around each other. This happens with every age group. I have seen men is their 50's with their arms intertwined. It was very surprising to me the first time one of my girl friends held my hand. I realized how culturally different this struck me. I think the longer I've lived here the more I've become calloused to the differences and then at times like these when I feel caught off gaurd, I remember just how culturally different we think.

No comments: