Saturday, April 26, 2008
Experiencing a Korean tradition
Tonight I had the opportunity to attend a Korean child's 1st birthday party. In the old days of Korean history when disease was rampant a child living to their first birthday was a cause for celebration. Though we live in times of modern medicine and children are not at risk of death they have kept with the tradition of an elaborate celebration for a child on the 1st birthday. They invite EVERYONE they know and some parents go in debt for this event. A Western tradition that I'd compare it to is a wedding reception. It is a sit down dinner, usually at a buffet with unlimited alcohol, a champagne toast, cutting of the cake and gifts given (usually in the forms of money or gold jewelry). They also play a game where people choose what kind of career the child will have as an adult. The choices were a doctor, scholar/education, entertainer, computers, and another I did not recognize (a word I am not familiar with yet, they were written in Korean). Each person receives a slip of paper with a number on it. You put your number in front of the career you think the child will choose. They then put objects signifying each career are in front of the child: a stethoscope for doctor, a pen for scholar, a mouse for computers, a mic for entertainer and the child picks one. I put my # down for the mouse. The mother was gently pushing the baby's hand towards the stethoscope but he pushed his way past and picked up the mouse. Afterwards those who put their # on the winning item have their names put in a raffle to see who wins a prize. And the winner is the waykook (foreigner) Elena! Since this is my first experience at a one year olds birthday party I was not aware that those who won the prize also had to do a dance for the child and give the parents a well wishing speech! So I shook my hips a little, told them I'm sure he was going to be a great success and sat down red in the face. Aaah the joys of being a foreigner. What did I win for this time of embarrassment? A set of dishes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
awesome! that's the best first birthday celebration i have ever heard. i went to one my first year in Korea and they put some money on the tray and they parents guided the kid's hand to that; supposedly he is going to make large quantities of money when he gets older (so he can pay his folks back for the mountains of money they invest into his education...).
When I read this last time on your blog, I laughed so hard! That's quite an experience. I think it is neat that you are being ushered into the culture with such a welcoming spirit. How funny that you had to give a dance, too!
Post a Comment