Wednesday, April 23, 2008

charades at the supermarket

Since I live in foreign country there are many times I have had to ask for help to find something at the supermarket. Well it's not really "asking" it's more like charades. It's a good thing I enjoyed playing the game Guesstures before coming here. Unfortunately the other participant has probably not had charades practice and is trying to understand my request. But yesterday was different. It was my turn to be the guesser of an elderly Korean womens dilemma in front of the cheese cooler. She was looking at the labels of mild, medium, and sharp while holding a mozzarella. How do you act out cheese? First Joe and I told her the mozzarella was for peecha (pizza) and the others for sandwiches. Then I contorted my face to what it would look like while eating sharp cheese. Eventually she picked what we picked up, mild and medium and gave us a thumbs up. Now I know how the participants have felt at my charade games in the supermarket.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, that's hilarious! i probably would've given up on that after 1 minute. maybe next time you can go find the mayor of Lotte to help you! haha!

Susan said...

I love this game. My first month in Korea I went to a store looking for an iron. Since I didn't speak a word of Korea, I went in gesturing making creases in my shirt and acting out the hot iron smoothing it down. I even made the hot sizzling sound.Ssss..! The shopkeeper patiently watched with an amused expression for about 3 minutes then nonchalantly said "Iron?" I could only nod yes with a red face.