Thursday, December 4, 2008

Green Eggs and Ham (or granola, in my case)

In the story of Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss there is a man being followed, badgered, and annoyed by Sam. Sam is convinced that the man will like green eggs and ham if he only tries it. Many times I feel like Sam. Recently Brett asked for granola. It is not readily available in any store around here so I planned to buy the two hefty bags at Costco when I visited this week, only to be appalled that the price had jumped from $16 to $22! I decided I would try to make my own granola. The next day I whipped up some which I thought tasted pretty yummy. I was excited to greet Brett in the morning with a bowl for him only to be shot down with "that doesn't look the same" "why does it have nuts in it?" "I wanted the other granola" Brett, you may like it... Try it, try it and you may... If you know the ending of the book the man does try it and discovers he likes green eggs and ham, thus the ending to my story as well.
I have a vague memory of my mother saying she wished I had a child like me one day. She got her wish! Oh, how the tables have turned and now I will be the persistent Sam I am.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This one made me smile. I have a gagger at my house. She will refuse to try anything she does not recognize. "Just try it, you'll like it", we say. The gagging starts before it even hits her tongue. She chews, spits, gags, gasps, and finally swallows. At which point she declares, "I like it!". Yeah, well, now we've all lost our appetites...