Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Everything takes extra time

I found a set of pillows I really liked at our local mega store but they didn't have enough. Since I have yet to find someone who can speak English at this store and the lady did not understand my charades, I called a Korean friend to help me order more. No problem, maybe took an extra 5 minutes. The sales clerk called my friend back a week later to let her know that the pillows had arrived. When I arrived at the store I could not find the women who would have recognized me and have known I came for the pillows. I stood and waited 5 minutes hoping she would show up. No luck. I looked for anyone who worked in that dept. No luck. I decided to call my friend that had helped me order. She didn't answer....what do I do now? Leave the store without the pillows? No way, I had gone there just to pick them up. I decided I would call another friend, explain the situation and ask them to speak to the door greeter at the store and have him page someone to that dept. Easier said then done. After calling 4 people, trying to explain the situation to one and hearing their confusion as to what in the world I was asking them to do, I decided to head home, pillow-less. Fortunately my friend called back just as I was leaving the store. I went back into the store, handed the confused looking greeter my phone, he paged someone to come with the pillows and I left happy. This little 5 minute errand only took me 45 minutes. Ahh the frustration of communication.
Since we have been back I have been asked, insinuated and told 4 times that I should know more Korean. I agree! Life would be a lot easier. Time to start studying again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha! go Korea! yeah, learn more Korean. you may not know exactly how long you are going to stay in Korea or how much you will actually retain...but...you don't want to end up like some people we know who lived in Korea for 10 years and refused to learn a damn thing! haha! but...then again...it's TOUGH. even when you learn stuff, Koreans look at you like you are STILL speaking a foreign language if you don't have the correct pronunciation. while Konglish often works well and if anyone is trying to understand it's the English speakers...hey? sorry, that's a bit of a button for me. but i totally support you learning again. you will make all of us who did NOT learn Korean very proud. i can't wait to see you guys again! haha....uh...when will that be?

hey, guess what? i have a new job! i'm a case worker for the homeless in KC! it's excellent and absolutely a riot! i've been there for just a week now and i'm positive i'm in the right place. the people i work with are awesome and diverse. there are different colors, sexual orientations, religions (or lack thereof), backgrounds...it's incredible. i'm the youngest one and i'm NOT the only one with a degree! it's great! i want to tell you guys all about it sometime!

hope you guys are doing well and enjoy the BEST month in Korea coming up in just a few days! yah! i always loved October, all the best weather and holidays happen then.

peace,
eric