Monday, October 20, 2008
Letting go of the training wheels
Recently a friend gave us a new bike. It was suppose to be for Ian who has out grown his tricycle but it was bigger than Brett's bike. So the bike became Brett's new bike. His old bike had training wheels on it though he didn't really use them anymore. We thought what a great time for Brett to learn to ride without the extra wheels. But when we took him to the park to try he was too worried about falling over even though I was holding the back of the bike. He begged for training wheels to be put on. After putting the wheels on we realized they were too short and didn't even touch the ground. He desperately wanted to try out his new bike and we headed out to the parking lot where he took off like a bullet and never touched the training wheels to the ground. He was so scared of trying it without the wheels but really they just gave him the "safety" he needed to boost his confidence and take off riding. It made me wonder how many times I've needed some type of training wheels to get my confidence up just to realize I wasn't using the wheels at all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi Elena,
It's good to "hear" from you! What a timely reminder and pefect object lesson for me as well. Thanks for sharing! Annette
wow, Elena, how insightful, it's too bad you're not a preacher, i smell an object lesson! haha. that's a very interesting concept. now that i think about it, i see many many times that i beg for training wheels even though i am perfectly capable of going without them. what does that say about us? do we need more assurance and security or do we look for approval when we don't need to? is it something that we should be seeking to change? thanks for challenging us! hope to hear back!
Sorry it takes so long for me to write back :) I'm a 'wanna be' blogger who gets around to writing/reading comments about once a week! But thanks for leaving them, I do like to hear from others.
About your comment Eric, I am looking to change my need for the security/training wheels, which is a hard thing to do, especially here. I seem to need someone holding my hand to do the easiest tasks...like buying pillows! This is something I am personally working on. I guess that is why Brett's situation really hit home for me. Great to hear from you !
Post a Comment